Please Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor
ITS92 Allagash to Escourt Station
AROOSTOOK COUNTY TRAIL REPORT UPDATED 03/20/2015
The Official Snowmobile Trail Report
From the desk of: Gary Marquis
Caribou Parks & Recreation Department
55 Bennett Dr.
Caribou, Me. 04736
This is what groomer operators are faced with when the wind is blowing about 25-30 mph's and snowing hard, so you can see that the visibility is almost zero. So when projects hold off on grooming when we have conditions like this, it is certainly understandable.
That has been the story with this week's weather is the strong winds that have caused a lot of projects to hold off until the winds subside. The other issue that some clubs are facing is the fact that some of them are at or over their hours, so grooming will be slowing down a little, now I am not saying that anyone is done but the truth is that they will be picking their days.
- Lots of sledders going off trail cutting corners, joy riding in fields and causing problems in the system, please stay on marked trails.
- Deer Deer and more Deer are all over watch for tracks on the trails.
- Moose are also everywhere.
- Remember gas is sometimes long distances so plan accordingly.
- Logging operation on trail 89 in North Caribou.
- Logging operation on trail 76 in Presque Isle going toward Easton.
ITS 85 Oxbow has been out taking care of the drifts so hasn’t the rest of the clubs on that route.
ITS 83 remember with the wind and this is a North South corridor there will be significant drifting in the open areas so use caution until everyone will get a chance to groom. Houlton will be grooming their section of 83 once a week as they are well over their hours.
ITS 81 Again this trail is out in the open so the drifting will be bad until projects get out which will be Thursday.
ITS 92 This trail is in great shape, 92A, and 92B also are in great shape.
ITS 90 Fort Fairfield and Caribou will be out on Thursday to take care of the blown snow, while Portage has come down on Wednesday night so this trail should be good by Thursday night and into the weekend.
ITS 88 will be in good shape
ITS 86 Oxbow has rerouted about 9 miles of this trail to bypass a logging operation so watch for signs. Houlton is reporting that they will not groom their section of 86 for the remainder of the season, so make arrangements ahead.
ITS 105 This trail is in very good shape, remember there are drifts on this trail going into Mapleton.
ITS 120 Beautiful trail with great views
RT.89 Groomed all the way, logging operation behind Bouchard's Packing shed in North Caribou. This trail will be groomed on Thursday
RT 100 Improved riding from Caswell… remember though there are two branches of this trail one goes north out of Caswell and one goes west further south. They both intersect Rt 89 one closer to Rt 94 and the other closer to the Madawaska River…. Watch for markings.
Easton trails will be all groomed for Thursday and Thursday night.
Chapman Ridge Runners will also be out Wednesday and Thursday.
On the Social Side:
Friday night chicken stew at the Presque Isle clubhouse 5-7 pm
Washburn Trail runners Breakfast / Lunch Saturdays 7-2pm Sunday 7-12pm at the clubhouse
St. Francis Sno Angels Saturday Meals…home cooked meals… stop by off ITS 92 10am-9pm.
Houlton breakfast every Saturday at the clubhouse on the Wiley road in Houlton 6-9
Pleasant Ridge Runners Snowmobile Club will be hosting a trailside hot dog roast with chili and drinks on Saturday March 28th at the Intersection of ITS 81 and Trail 100 located behind Parents Country Store 11-3.
Cold Mountain Snowmobile Club (Grand Isle) will be hosting a Spaghetti Supper for their trail master Ricky Theriault who lost his garage to a fire with all tools. March 29th from 11-2 at the Grand Isle community center.
THE FORKS TRAIL REPORT (03/16/2015)
12+ inches from the weekend snowstorm. All trail sections were groomed out Sunday night, and will be again on Monday night. We will groom again later in the week, in advance of the weekend. Cold temperatures will hold through the weekend. Outstanding riding right now!
DETOUR . . . . . ITS 87 BETWEEN PLEASANT POND AND MOXIE MOUNTAIN IS CLOSED DUE TO LOGGING AND SEVERAL MILES OF PLOWED ROAD WITH HEAVY TRUCKING. Use the Pleasant Pond Trail and/or the Bald Mountain Trail as a detour around the closed section of ITS 87.
- ITS 86 FROM BERRY's STORE HEADING EAST TOWARD GREENVILLE/ROCKWOOD TO THE ITS 88 JUNCTION. Intown, Boise Road, Power Line sections are all in great shape. There is a 1 mile section of plowed road around Moxie Pond and another 1 mile plowed section as you travel a little further east, on the Brochu Road. Please go slow through these spots and yield to trucks. Rest of the way up to ITS 88 intersection is in fine shape.
- ITS 87 HEADING SOUTH TOWARD BINGHAM. Divide Road section is groomed flat and fine riding. ITS 87 south of Pleasant Pond is closed due to an active logging operation, with several miles of plowed road and heavy trucking. Use the Pleasant Pond Trail and/or the Bald Mountain Trail as a detour around the closed section of ITS 87.
- CARATUNK SPUR. Open and groomed.
- PLEASANT POND TRAIL. Smooth sailing!
- BALD MOUNTAIN TRAIL FROM ITS 86 HEADING SOUTH TO ITS 87. Good going all the way through to the Bingham turnaround.
- BREAKNECK RIDGE TRAIL. Open and good riding.
- KENNEBEC RIVER TRAIL. Overall in fine shape.
For day riders, there is a FREE PARK & RIDE LOT at Northern Outdoors on Route 201. The lot is very large, well plowed and has plenty of room for large trailers. The lot is marked with a large sign on Route 201. Trail maps, 91 octane gas, food are available at Northern Outdoors.
Northern Outdoors SC
Enthusiasts Please Remember: It is against the law to operate
an ATV, dune buggy, 4 wheel drive vehicle, motorcycle or any other
motor vehicle on snowmobile trails that are funded by the Club/Municipal
grant program at any time of the year, unless the landowners
have granted permission to do so.
to our newest feature, an on-line newsletter and report update
for our snowmobiling site. We will be providing up-to-date e-mail
notification of trail report information, sudden changes in conditions
and other relevant information throughout the winter months. If
you would like to start receiving our newsletter, please type
your e-mail address below and submit it to us.